Media while quarantined


Although the media has always played a significant role in my day to day life ever since quarantine started, the presence of media has drastically increased. I have consumed more media then I could've ever imagined.

With this quarantine, it has gotten me to watch some new 
things. I have started watching That '70s Show and The Voice as well as rewatching series such as The Politician and Barry. I have also watched a bunch of different movies, but one that stuck out to me the most was Beautiful Boy. 








Having the advanced media we have today makes this lockdown a little more bearable; I have been continuously face timing my friends and family. Yesterday was my grandpa's birthday, and my extended family all got onto a group facetime call, thanks to 2020 unique technology.

My cousin works for a major film studio in Hollywood and informed me early on that many studios would be closing due to the virus, which was the right call but got me bumped out. I knew that meant new content wasn't going to be released from these professional companies.

I will say I have been very impressed with how everyone is handling it. For example, Disney released Frozen II early on their streaming service as well as their brand new movie Onward. They did this to compensate for people not being able to go to theaters and watch the film.


Another thing that has been done is my favorite late-night host, Jimmy Fallon, started to record a modify home version of his show. Attached to each at home episode is a charity fundraiser chosen by the guest; since then, many other hosts have followed. I think this is great because these people would be fine financially to take off of work and relax right

now, letting reruns of their show play. However, they are still taking the time to release new content for their audience as well as raise money for those less fortunate then them struggling during this time.

The media is a powerful this that is allowing people to feel less lonely during this time of isolation.

Through this time, I have taken the time to think about the future. The media has helped me do research and narrow down the list of colleges I'm applying to. It has also opened my eyes to the type of careers I am interested in. I knew I always wanted to be involved in the entertainment industry, specifically film, but recently I have become interested in having a job in the field of sports. My whole life, I have been surrounded by sports. My brother and I both did every sport until we found the ones we stuck with; for me, it was cheerleading and for my brother, baseball. I have been brought up attending Miami Heat, Marlin, Hurricane, and Dolphin games as well as the University of Florida gator games. Growing up, I never thought about a career in sports because I am a female and about 11% of the sports media industry is female, so it seemed near impossible. With all the free time I've had, I have come to admire the career of Erin Andrews. She attended the school I've been brought up on and dream of going to and has had an inspiring career for a female in that industry that makes me hopeful for my future.



Something extra that I have found entertaining is watching what people all around the world have creatively been doing during this time. On the app, Tik Tok people have been posting how they are getting through this time with things like themed dinners or bringing their favorite things to them. Here are some of my favorites. 

Comments

Popular Posts